Monday, November 19, 2018

Kitchen Refresh Part 2 - It's done! (sort of)

Before you start reading this post, I want you to take a deep breath- the following will leave you incredulous. (too dramatic, maybe?)

The kitchen is DONE! (ish)

When I last checked in over a year ago, I recapped our kitchen painting debacle- to which I fondly refer as "The Great Wallpaper Discovery of 2017." They'll be teaching that tale in U.S. history classes someday. From when we first saw the house, to having the walls scraped and professionally skim coated, to being PAINTED almost two months after we moved in-- it's quite a transformation and was well worth the sweat, tears, and dermatitis from the plaster dust.


Our kitchen isn't exactly how I imagined it to be-- which is a good thing. I had plans of painting everything white to give it a fresh feel and filling in with colorful accents. Looking back, I think it would have felt way too sterile and devoid of personality. I collected so many "cutesy" dessert-like trinkets when we lived in our duplex that it only made sense to lean into that theme in the new house. I'm so happy we did!


We painted the wainscoting a bright pure white and the newly smoothed walls above "Lotus Petal" by Behr. It ended up being the perfect hue! And before you ask how I got my partner to agree to so much pink- Nate took some convincing. It is kind of intense shade of pink after dark, but in the mornings with the light pouring in, it's perfect.


We ended up landing on our paint shade after we requested a sample from Big Chill (the retro refrigerator company) for their pink and mint colors to see if we could find a match-- the pink fridge is actually perfect match with Behr's Peppermint Stick, but we went a shade lighter with Lotus Petal.  I dream that someday we'll order a Big Chill fridge (though I'm leaning more toward a white fridge these days) and it will be marvelously cute. Unrelated- anyone have a spare $3000 lying around?


Our kitchen dining set is vintage- my mom and I found it on craigslist and drove over an hour to pick it up. The chairs were originally a mustard yellow floral before we recovered them-- I wish I had taken a before picture of them! This set is definitely the "showstopper" of the space and I'm so happy we stumbled across it.



Another one of my favorite parts of the kitchen is our pendant light! If I could link to it, I would but it's actually a family heirloom of sorts. This fixture is actually from my parents' first house. My mom ended up holding onto it after they sold their house but never hanging it in the home I grew up in, so they gave it to me! It's honestly perfect for the space and so sweetly sentimental.



As far as the kitchen goes- we're done with sprucing for a little while. I have a list of things I'd like to tackle that I'll get into in another post, but most of that can wait for now-- We're content for the time-being and mainly occupied by trying to keep the kitchen clean. Wish us luck with that!

Follow along on instagram for more #ivyleaguehouse updates!

Materials & Products Used
Wall Paint - Behr's Lotus Petal 
Dinette Set - Vintage, Craigslist
White Pendant Light - Vintage, similar here
Retro Microwave - Amazon
Automatic Trash & Recycling Cans - Amazon
Ice Cream and Popsicle Prints - Jodi Lynn Doodles
Ice Cream Hands Print - Sami Wideberg, Society 6
Donut Plaque - Everyday is a Holiday
Donut Neon - Urban Outfitters, similar here
Ice Cream Cookie Jar - Vintage
LuRay Pastel Dishes - Vintage, eBay
Felt Letter Board - Vintage Revivals, similar here
Floral Recipe Box, Rifle Paper Co.
Cake Cone planters - Target dollar spot, closest dupe i can find here 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie! Wow! I was just googling to see if I could find pics of any rooms painted with Lotus petal paint and what a surprise it was coming across your super cute kitchen!! And seeing our donut plaque on display! Such a fun fun surprise! Love it all so much!! And so happy to see that our donut went to a perfect home! :) xo Jenny Holiday

    ReplyDelete